Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Review: Pride

By Emma Carroll

When I saw Pride last night I had one of those amazing movie experiences one wishes they had more often. The theater was not packed, but the audience was enthusiastic. It was one of those theater encounters that let me know - the world’s joy in going to the movie theater will never go away. Last night, my fellow viewers were swept up into the movie. Cheers erupted from the audience when the team was successful, like real cheers and applause, not just the random halfhearted clap here and a “WOO!” there. It was the real thing, like we were all actually at the swim meets. This is what makes going to the movies so wonderful. And when a movie can bring this out in its audience, its success is clear.

Terrence Howard in Lionsgates' Pride

Pride is the story of the life of Jim Ellis. He comes to Philadelphia looking for a job in teaching but his skin color prevents the respect that he deserves and ends up insulted and at the unemployment agency. He is sent by the city to close up the Philadelphia Department of Recreation building and while he is working, discovers the pool. As he begins to train local youths to swim and then to be a team, he struggles against racism and the city as they continue to threaten to close the building down. The whole time building to the typical decision-making meet at Baltimore State. Although the plot is a bit contrived, resembling that of similar sports movies (Remember the Titans comes to mind), it doesn’t seem to matter here. This is the true to life story of Jim Ellis and the movie works while not straying far from his real life
.
In my opinion, Pride was definitely enjoyable and exhilarating. Some say swimming is not an exciting sport and therefore difficult to make exciting, but I disagree. I often find myself caught up in the Olympic swimming races. When you are eager for someone to win, anything can be nerve racking. The director of Pride, Sunu Gonera, made swimming an art. His camera angles, above and below the water, showed the beauty of these people “owning the water”. The intensity of the final sequence was made even more suspenseful by cutting back to the outside of the building where only faint sounds of the race could be heard.

I must say though, with all the thrill of the final quarter of the movie, it did start a little slow. But the excitement certainly builds as it moves. What keeps it going early on is the comedy. Bernie Mac plays the Head of Maintenance for the Philadelphia Department of Recreation (P.D.R.), and although he is a straight character in this movie, his lines definitely have a punch! I have not experienced Bernie Mac in many performances, and he plays this character well. I was very impressed by his breadth. I am intrigued by what else he can do! The kids on the swim team also provided some great comedic moments. They had some of the best lines in the show, and they delivered them like seasoned comedians.


Terrance Howard (Crash, Ray) plays Jim Ellis and he becomes the role. Howard is amazing and leads the cast with his brilliant performance.

Something that caught me a little off guard was some of the language. Many of the one liners seemed to be written in as if in today’s slang, which along with the colloquialisms made me wonder if they really spoke in the 70’s so similarly to people today.

As for the time period, one thing I can say for the costumes in this movie: I’m sure glad I didn’t live in the 70’s! But even with the tackiness of green paisley shirts the costumes were well done, perhaps a little over the top with the giant Afros and enormous earrings. Although, the main characters’ garb was a bit subtler.

I definitely have to give last night an A for the experience and a B for the movie. It was definitely one of those occasions that renew my faith. This is why I love movies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry to sound like a stalker, but is this emma carroll of arlington, ma and u miami? if so, emma, can you email me? this is your former friend/coworker allison needing some miami advice! if not, pretend this comment never happened... thanks!

Anonymous said...

This was really a terrific review -- definitely made me want to see the movie. I like the comments about the artistry, character performance, and script. I also like movies that are about true life stories without being too maudlin, and this movie sounds like anything but that. It sounds like a movie about courage, perseverence, resilience, challenge and achievement -- that's the kind of movie that makes me feel good about going to a movie. And man, does Terrence Howard look great or what?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Allison, I hope that you get this. If you're the Allison I'm thinking of (the filene's, emanuel allison), I have your email address from like 4 years ago. If not, or if that's not the right address you can post it and I can have the administrator delete it.